Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Where did the Summer go?

So its been since July 1st since I took the time to come here and write some things.  I hadn't forgotten about the blog, just staying busy here with the day to day stuff. Also with facebook I have another internet social place to keep track of.  Although I've had time to sit down and write, it just hasn't been and where I could bring the laptop along.  Now the time has come when I need to finish all my little projects I've started, and gather all the stuff I brought along with me last April, and think about the trip back to Minnesota.  Just a bit over 3,600 miles through some of the most beautiful country a person could ever see.  Also some of the toughest roads I've run across in a long time .. I hope the frost damaged road from the Alaska border to Destruction Bay in the Yukon Territory has seen some repairs, or at least been smoothed out over the summer.  That was a tough stretch!  And it wasn't much better in June when Dee and I did the marathon road trip to pick up Elena in Whitehorse after her car broke down on the highway. 

Well the only way I can keep track of what I've been up to here is go through the pictures I've taken since my last post in July .. so here's a few photos to catch up for July and August.  These are mostly the highlights.  Some of the day to day stuff is fun to talk about too, like flying out to do aircraft repairs on a beach and ending up spending the night there with the bears .. more on that one later ...



Just during a walk on the beach .. lots of eagles.  This is a young bald eagle, before the distinctive white head.

On a fishing trip to the Kenai we flew through some nice glaciers on the Harding Ice Fields. 
July flowers.
Some of the sights across Katchemak Bay.




Stephanie and Dee.  Steller Air flew us to Brooks Falls for a great bear trip.  The flights in Alaska are always good!

 





Well that gets us to mid August.  Some friends came up to visit around the end of August, we took a week and saw sights, went to see the bears in the Katmai National Park, and did 4 days kayaking Katchemak Bay.  I'll try and get some photos up from the trip soon.

8 comments:

DaveO said...

Looking forward to more pix. Good luck on the drive. A man might need a good, hot, wood fired sauna after a trip like that.....

Ron said...

I'm lookiing forward to a northern Wisconsin wood fired sauna. I will bring along a few Alaskan beers for the occasion.

Nora Whitmore said...

Nice photos Ron! Have a safe trip back. Those are some BIG bears! Wow!

Ron said...

Thanks Nora ... I'll be on the road in a couple days.

Silbs said...

Like the pix. Doesn't look like there are a lot of emergency landing spots up there. Didn't notice any ejection seats :-)

Ron said...

Hi Dick, not many places to put a plane down there ... unless of course you've been flying in the area for the last 20 years. I was with some pilots there who did some amazing things.

Silbs said...

Damn good summer. Damn good pixes.

Ron said...

Thanks Dick, I'm looking forward to getting back there in the Spring.