Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Greenland Paddles


Last Saturday afternoon I spent some time with Ron Steinwall at his Novorca Paddles shop. He showed me the process from beginning with a custom paddle design on the computer, to mounting a piece of Cedar on to the table, and allowing the CNC to do the final cutting of a beautiful Greenland Paddle. This last year its been great to see friend go from discussions of building paddles, hearing his ideas, and watching his dreams come to life. I can say I may have had a small part in it ... at least some encouragement anyway.


I have one of his carbon fiber paddles, and love it. Its been a great paddle. Now I will have him make me one in wood ... maybe one of the laminate designs ...


Here is a link to download a video clip of a Novorca paddle being made.





No comments: