Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Sunday Pool Sessions

The last few pool sessions I've missed because of various weekend plans, this Sunday things worked out and I was able to make the ISK session. It would seem that skiing is great for keeping fit and trim, but it does very little for my rolling skills. The first hour was getting comfortable again with some different rolls. The last hour was just plain fun! Which is exactly what it should be anyways! I'm still trying to figure out the "standing up in the boat trick", a few folks had it figured out this week. I was able to stand on the back deck, with Liza sitting on the front and sculling for some support, she by the way was getting it figured out too. I'm only able to get up to hands and knees on the back deck with out some sort of support. Ron on the other hand made a lap around the pool!
Last Summer I had the chance to do some stuff with Kelly Blades at the Inland Sea Symposium, I would recommend his sessions for anyone, beginner on up. This being my first full season to do some teaching as an ACA Instructor I plan to incorporate some of what I've learned from him, into what I teach. Getting out of the boat, and spending an hour fooling around climbing on, over, under, and everything but what it was intended for can do much for your comfort level.

9 comments:

Alex said...

Looks like fun! I didn't get my sign up in on time so I unfortunately got to sleep in late and have a nice breakfast for once. :)

Are you looking to teach through an outfitter this year or just on your own?

Ron said...

Wish you could've made it, we had 8no-shows yesterday, so lots of room in the pool!

Mostly on my own, and through the club. But I'd like to hook up with one of the outfitters sometime.

Alex said...

Wow, 8 no-shows. That's surprising. I went to the evening whitewater pool session and it was packed!

As for teaching, you should also see if you could make it on to the instructor roster for a symposium or two. That's a great way to get some experience and also pick the brains and learn from other coaches.

While I'm usually pretty busy in the summer, if you ever need an assistant for a class and I'm available, I'd be happy to help out in any way I can. As usual, I work for free. :)

Ron said...

I would've liked to hook up with Gail and Grant at the Inland Sea Symposium, but they have gone to alternating years for the event. Maybe next year for that one.
Remember I'm always available for the Rolling Clinc too.

DaveO said...

Count me in if you guys need some help. I'm strongly considering that ACA course if Gail and Grant do it again.

Silbs said...

I still can't do the stand up thingy. If I were to work on it in the pool I think I would wear a brain bucket because of the hard edges around the water.

Ron said...

the hard edges around the pool are a concern, we hang out in the middle of the pool when attempting the "stand up thingy".

cmccalle said...

Ron - Have you been able to stand up in your boat without any worries yet?

Ron said...

Hi Courtney,
Still working in it. Just need a lot more practice!