Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Fall Ball


I try and make as many club events as I can, for the most part I do pretty well. The "Fall Ball" is an annual paddling event put together by SKOAC members, and has been well attended in years past. This year it took place on Sand Island in the Apostles, it's an easy 3 mile crossing so most people can make the trip. Then there are the sea caves on the North side of the island only a short paddle from the group camping areas. You need to have calm conditions to get into the caves for some exploring.


I think the first part of our group that made it up on Friday had the opportunity to check them out, but by the time Chris, Lori, and I made it up, the wind and waves had gotten to the point that it was fun playing outside the caves, but getting into them was a bad idea. By the time we made it back to camp to set up tents, it started to rain ... I think it pretty much rained the whole rest of the day and into the night. Now my good friend and fellow blogger Dave has stated "there's no such thing as bad weather, just crummy gear", There is some truth to that! But camping in the rain is just that ... camping in the rain. Even though the weather was doing its best to dampen every ones spirits, you can see in the top photo plenty of happy faces. Of course a lamb on a spit, plenty of great food, some wine, and a huge tarp sure helped!

Now if you paddle the Solstice GT Titan like paul ... you can bring the lamb on a spit, plenty of creature comforts, and the largest tent I've every seen brought to the islands in a kayak! I did walk past his kayak before the crossing back and there was nothing tied to the top of the deck!

No comments: