Tuesday, April 15, 2008

First Apostle Trip


Last year Ron S and I went up for an early Apostle weekend, this year we are doing the same, but with a larger group, Ron S, Alex, Chris G, and Mike O, and I will make the trek. This year may border on Winter camping! I've read rumors about ice still floating about the islands. I've done plenty of cold weather camping in the past, and the key to staying warm, is to stay dry. Cold weather paddling trips make it a bit harder to stay dry. After going through my staple of paddling and skiing gear, I think I may have the right combination to stay warm. Now to see if it will all fit in the boat! The trade off may be some of the comforts I would take on a warm Summer trip, will get left behind. An evening of trial boat packing in a nice warm place before we go would be a good idea.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those winter jackets take up lots of room right Ron? Don't worry I left some room for a few beers. Hey you can't take away all those "summer comfort" items!!!

Ron said...

I think I can get most of it to fit, and still have room for a couple beers.

Silbs said...

Do the local authorities know that this band of paddlers is about to invade their peaceful land ? :) Actually, those are the words of a jealous man.

Ron said...

I'm hearing this morning there may be a few groups up from Minneapolis/St Paul area.